Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Dinner for a Pandemic 4

Grilled Pork Chops
Sweet and Sour Cabbage with Apples
Yogurt Mashed Potatoes

The pork chops were actually cuts that I sliced off a pork sirloin roast that we bought at Costco (4-pack) last time we were there. $2.99lb.

That cabbage had very little time left so had to peel off some of the bad outer leaves, but it was good inside; the apples were good, if suffering slightly from the dry climate here. A little red onion, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar.

The yogurt (something I always resolve to eat because "it's good for you" but rarely do because I don't care much for yogurt (well, except for Frozen Yogurt from Smith's/Kroger which is very good) had a use by date of January 27th (this year I think). But yogurt doesn't go bad. I tasted it before spooning it into the mashed potatoes with butter, garlic powder, salt and pepper. I usually add milk, but trying to conserve.

I pray a lot when I'm in the kitchen. Some people would call it cursing but it is my way of thanking the karma or randomness of the Universe or god's dirty tricks.

Besides minor cuts and spills, the universe seems to think I need to bend more often...so regularly throws things on the ground or floor for me to pick up. Tonight it decided to slice my finger.

If anyone can cut one's finger opening a plastic container of yogurt, it's me (and from what I've read, maybe Mitchell).

So, damn it, I gashed my finger on the plastic lid. Maybe it had adhered too tightly because it was well aged.
Anyhow, dinner was put together in 45 minutes (Leon at the grill) so I didn't make Rachael Ray's 30 minute meal. But it was good. Stay well. Stay safe.

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

When products are past their "best before" date, they actively try to kill you by any means necessary. Botulism or finger slashing, it's all the same to them. You're lucky to still be here.

Moving with Mitchell said...

Yes, as a matter of fact, I HAVE cut my fingers on plastic lids... Often! Isn't it great though when it's the correct finger?!? Great meal! My brother cooks HIS pork chops in his wok. What about you?

Bob said...

The yogurt mashed sounds good; I'll have to try that.

I feel like I should admit to cutting my fingers on plastic lids; I'm not sure I have, but know it's more than possible.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails