Saturday, January 18, 2020

Selfies With Benni, Wrinkles, Gout, And Make Your Bed

Saw a photo of some young, sexy shirtless guy with tats posing with his Siberian Husky...so was inspired to do some selfies with our dog, our Weimador, Benni. Neither of us is pedigree, but Benni is by far the more handsome. See below.

Back to Stonewall yesterday posted a 1970's listing of the gay bars in New York City. Each came with a description of the venue and/or the clientele likely to frequent each establishment. There were a number of leather/western bars and private clubs; other categories included raunchy leather, backroom, disco, cruisy, intimate, fun, friendly, piano lounge, cabaret.

But there was one that I'd never heard before: "wrinkle room" 

And I thought to myself, "that's probably where I'd be relegated to now!"
And I admit, it made me laugh!

The gout acted up this week...something that's only happened once (well actually twice within a short time from the same trigger) in four years. 

The last time was days after I had started taking glucosamine/chondroitin. Left big toe was swollen and painful. When I tried to recall if anything in my diet had changed, the only thing I could identify was the G/C. So I stopped taking the pills and the gout cleared up.

I did some internet searches and found nothing that would indicate that G/C was a trigger. I thought perhaps it was just coincidental, so after t couple of weeks, I continued with taking the glucosamine/chondroitin hoping it would help with some aches and pains. 

Sure enough, gout in the right big toe flared up on cue. No more G/C for me, no more gout. That is until last Sunday evening.

We had been to a birthday celebration for a friend and I threw caution to the wind and asked for a gin and tonic. I am not a drinker and don't particularly like gin and tonic...but it was the only thing that came to mind when I was asked what kind of cocktail I'd like. Other's were asking for Scotch or Bourbon which I find distasteful. 

My drink was 3/4 gin and 1/4 tonic. I had a hard time downing it...sips at a time. So, does anyone know if GIN will trigger a gout attack? 

It flared up Sunday evening, had me down Monday and mostly cleared up by Wednesday...until Friday when I wore some rather tight-fitting hiking boots because we had a good snowfall...well, Friday night I was awake and in agony again till 2:30am when the second dose of indomethacin and ice pack kicked in to offer me some relief.

And on Friday Leon had been suffering some anxiety about work and we had to take Benni to the Vet because he'd been having diarrhea for two days since he must have gotten into something when we were walking in the arroyo and I wasn't watching him.

I told Leon that we've had such a good run and good karma, we can't complain. But maybe our karma has changed. Either that, or it was because we didn't make the bed Friday after getting up.

Lessons for this week. Embrace your wrinkles. Stay away from glucosamine/chondroitin. Don't let the dog eat dead animals or coyote poop. And always make your bed.

As you can see, Benni is not the easiest subject to get to pose for a selfie. BUT ISN'T HE CUTE?













5 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sorry to hear your gout flared up after the G&T. And what great selfies! No, you wouldn't be in the Wrinkle Room -- you're entitled to go to the Silver Fox Salon!

Moving with Mitchell said...

I agree with Debra. I remember Napoleon Bar in Boston. It was an old institution by the time I went there in 1981. It was know. As a wrinkle room by those of us under 30 (I didn’t call it that). What a great place for sing a longs around the bar and friendly visits. Wish we had one of those here. Of course there were rent boys and others looking for wealthy older hookups and older men looking for them. But wish we had a bar like that here. Everything seems to be all about getting drunk. Thanks for sharing photos of a handsome man and his [uncooperative] dog!

Frank said...

Yes, the Napoleon in Boston. I was there once and we left shortly...stodgily dressed "gentlemen"...I was young and bored.

Russ Manley said...

Great pics. Wrinkle room - haha, never heard that before. But I can relate now.

Have delayed replying till I could double-check with M.P., who had a gout attack a few years ago. He says eat cherries, they worked for him when the medicine didn't. He ate dried cherries, though you could do fresh ones as well. Good luck with that.

Frank said...

Thanks Russ,
I've had gout before, the first time was after starting daily aspirin - which has been know to trigger gout in some people. Recurrent episodes followed, usually in the spring, or early summer. The first time was the worse. (https://reluctantrebel.blogspot.com/2009/03/intimate-details.html)
My research seems to indicate that there are a lot of mythical "causes" and "cures" for gout...the bottom line being that it will run it's course in a few days or a week regardless if one eats cherries or not! So is there a "cause and effect" behind the cherry cure? I don't know. There doesn't seem to be a lot of science behind the various "cures" and, unless it becomes chronic, I wouldn't take the drugs like allopurinol that are prescribed for chronic gout. I just suffer through it with some ice and anti-inflammatory Rx.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails