Friday, January 31, 2020

Total (Well Not Quite) Immersion

I've been getting back to my roots, so to speak, even though my particular roots are in Connecticut, my family roots are in the Southern regions of Italy, namely Calabria, Campania and Apulia.

So I've been watching lots of YouTube videos of Italian mamas cooking, making bread and pasta and various sauces; documentaries, news reports and music.

And I am taking a refresher course in Italian on Monday nights.

Today, I attended a concert by Newpoli Mediterranean Pulse - Ritmi Della Terra.
This contemporary group takes traditional Southern Italian music, e.g. the Tarantella, and gives it a modern flair. Despite my almost adequate knowledge of Italian, I have a hard time understanding it when the speaker is speaking fast, and an even harder time when they use any of the many dialects - of which Southern Italy has many.

The music of the group Newpoli is a celebration of those many regions and dialects, and while I had a very difficult time understanding the lyrics (actually I probably only picked up a handful of words here and there) I found the sound of the language, the sound of the dialects, somewhat familiar.

The music itself has a very plaintive quality and I would call it a mix of Italy/Greece/North Africa


Here are a few YouTube videos of Newpoli. 

I would caution that they may not appeal to most people's taste and I do find the female vocalists a bit shrill at times.  

Much better in person.
 Mediterraneo

 Nun Te Vutà


 
'Na voce sola


My grandparents and their contemporaries would often revert to their first language when they got together; I recall the cadence, the sing-song rhythm, the sometimes guttural sounds, the melody of vowels. 

I recall the many weddings of older cousins which I attended when I was young and the fun we had pretending to dance the tarantella when the live band finally played C'è la luna mezz'u mare, Mamma mia mi maritare. 

Here's a version that will give you an idea of the various potential spouses one might marry:

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I like Newpoli's music very much (thanks for the intro!) and I agree its sound combines Italy/Greece/North African influences. I don't find the female singers particularly shrill. But then again, my ancestral musical traditions include bagpipes and yodeling, so I'm in no position to point the finger at anyone else's music.

Moving with Mitchell said...

Great music. Yes, the voices can be shrill. Are you familiar with Ornella Vanoni? From Naples. I saw her perform in Tuscan the ‘70s and adored her, although the style could be shrill at times, too. My Italian improves, however, by learning her songs. My favorite: “Piu.” Anyway, it made me happy to read what you’re doing. Enjoy yourself!

Frank said...

Thanks, Mitch
Sorry I've not been on your site too often...Just been sucked into the news cycle here and compulsively following always hopeful that today will be the day that something, anything will come forth that will finally bring down the United States dictator. Ciao.

Russ Manley said...

I can hear the North African - what in my ignorance I think of as Arabic - influence in the songs. The music is not my particular cup of tea, but overall it seems happy and bouncy. M.P. likewise grew up with bouncy Cajun music and lots of dancing, dancing, dancing at every family gathering. A happy thought.''

With tongue in cheek, let me say that it does seem that you Catholic and Latin folks sure do know how to have a good time. Grin. Whereas we descendants of the fierce northern barbarians long ago settled down into bare churches, plain clothes, plain food, and clean living. Very efficient, to be sure - but not nearly as much fun as the joie de vivre of the southern peoples!

Thus M.P. and I sort of balance each other out, not a bad thing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails