Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Autumn in New Mexico 2020

Took a walk down in the Bosque along the Rio Grande this afternoon. What a perfectly glorious day.

Despite the fact that I live with chronic insomnia and fight depression often, today I was in an exceptionally good mood. I made banana-blueberry muffins this morning and to hell with insomnia, I had a cappuccino to go with one for my coffee break.

The most excitement we've had during the pandemic occurred this past Wednesday.  

Our dog Benni went out the garage door on Wednesday morning around 6:00am when Leon pulled out to go to work. 

He just never does that so when I smelled a skunk I announced to Benni who is usually sleeping in the bedroom at that hour, "Benni, don't go outside there's a skunk." 

I got no response and went through the house, bedroom, guest room, kitchen, garage and back deck looking for Benni. Then I opened the front door and there he was, standing there. 

But I was still in denial, thinking perhaps someone had run over PepĂ© Le Pew whose body was oozing skunk smell out in the street. 

So I let Benni in. The skunk smell was still lingering so I went outside. It was strong. I came in and it seemed like it was stronger in the living room…and the bedroom...
 
To make a long story longer...it FINALLY dawned on me that Benni got skunked. Amazing what living in denial can do.

Well everything came to halt while I got the peroxide, baking soda and dish soap to treat the problem. It did some good but Benni was moping around all day feeling defeated. 
 
I told him that that was a lesson he was supposed to learn as a young dog, not now in his senior years. 

Three, four, five days later the odor lingers slightly on his head and neck but is gone for the most part.

Photos: Down in the Bosque near the Rio Grande in Pena Blanca (near Cochiti) this afternoon. Cottonwood trees. Benni went in the water and the skunk smell seemed to get worse. Oh well.

The Maple leaves were at 4th of July Canyon State Park in Cibiloa National Forest, NM.







 

4 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

Um... well... the photos are beautiful. And I can't smell Bennie from here! But I WISH I could smell (and taste) those muffins.

Moving with Mitchell said...

I have no clue if my previous comment made it. So apologies if this is a dupe. I NEED those muffins. Sorry about Bennie, but I can't smell anything from here. And the photos are beautiful.

Russ Manley said...

Gorgeous photos. But poor Benni! I hope he learned his lesson.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh no! Poor Benni! Poor everyone around Benni!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails