Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Tonight's Dinner: What Some People Call Weeds

Dandelion greens, lacinato kale,wilted in olive oil, garlic and red pepper flakes; cannellini beans, very little Italian sausage just for flavor, black pepper, chicken stock. Served over a little white rice and topped with grated parmigiano reggiano.



Note: I remember way back when my aunts would all go out together in the spring to the Connecticut dairy farmlands (now upscale housing communities or shopping malls) to pick wild dandelions. Now we pay $3.79 for a bunch which is maybe 10 ounces, grown on California farms for people like me craving the food of my ancestors. 

P.S. I am not ignoring the news or current events. I just have nothing of import to add to the commentary or sentiments that I read or hear or see every day. My heart is weary and I cook.

5 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I've never eaten young, tender dandelion greens but I'm sure they have their charms. I know one can make wine out of dandelions too. Never tasted that either.

Moving with Mitchell said...

I’ve never tasted dandelion greens, but I’ve had dandelion wine. Once.

Moving with Mitchell said...

I’ve never had dandelion greens. But I tasted dandelion wine. Once.

Bob said...

I make a sausage and kale soup, with a little Italian sausage, and it looks very similar. I might have to look for dandelion greens, though, and see how they work!

Russ Manley said...

Greens and sausage sound mighty good to me - add some hot cornbread and you got a scrumptious meal. M.P. loves kale - I prefer turnip greens. Never tried dandelion, though.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails