Saturday, February 19, 2022

Making Pasta

 Maybe it's because I had a cortisone injection into my left knee yesterday after nearly four months of doctor appointments, x-rays, MRI, NSAIDS, and Physical Therapy...I felt ambitious today so made vegetarian onion soup with mushrooms au gratin (had two nieghbors for dinner, one who is from France. The soup passed with approval)

Also made homemade pasta. Tagliatelle and Pappardelle. 300 grams of all purpose organic flour, 200 grams of semolina flour, 5 whole eggs, a little water as needed (because our climate is so dry, the flour may need extra moisture).

Took some videos of that my technique. OK so Pasta Grannies I'm not.

I have a pasta machine but sometimes I just prefer rolling out the dough by hand. It gives me a connection to my heritage and how that did it for centureis.

 The pasta board and rolling pin were my mom's. Dad made them for her more than 50 years ago. They are prized possessions and I am reminded of her whenever I use them. 

Nor am I a videographer. So here goes nothing (and sorry, that background noise is hubby running the vacuum cleaner in the dining/living room. I'm not complaining, I hate to vacuum.) Also you should probably fast forward a lot as I didn't edit. I'm not one to talk incessantly like some cooking videos; I don't know what to say. A picture is worth...

 

 

  

 

 

8 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

“Fricassee with Frank” Your new cooking show! Wish we had you when SG tried to make his own pasta nearly 40 years ago. Every attempt was a failure. Hope the cortisone injection makes an enormous and lasting improvement.

Frank said...

Leon says my cooking show should be called "In the Kitchen with Cranky Frankie"

Moving with Mitchell said...

Perfect! And Leon would know!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I love using kitchen tools and implements that have a long history and/or tradition behind them!

Russ Manley said...

Fascinating video - looks like a LOT of hard work, though. And it was nice to hear your voice for once - not quite the New Englandish accent I'd expected.

You'll be happy to know that I passed the video on to M.P. who got inspired from it and tried making pasta noodles one more time - and they came out great! He went and back and compared what you did with his cookbooks and refigured his proportions (damn that metric system) - and also added "one more egg." Result: delicious with a swiss steak roll and lots of beefy, tomato-ey sauce. So we send you our thanks for a new addition to our menu!

Frank said...

I am not used to explaining what I'm doing while cooking...like the many YouTube cooks who like to talk. I am much too self-conscious. And My voice on the video was a bit hoarse and whispery because of it. Maybe I will get more confident and try being more expressive...next time.

Frank said...

Thanks, Russ, glad you and MP had some homemade pasta noodles. I highly recommend "Pasta Grannies" on YouTube.

Russ Manley said...

Commentary is good. It's a nice voice you have.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails