Sunday, December 20, 2020

Popcorn and Kleenex on Amazon Prime

I was ordering a few odds and ends from Amazon this November and December, a few food/flower gifts for mom and family back east, and just stuff we need  that I am too paranoid to risk getting in person, like face masks, some containers to keep the mice away from the stuff in the garage pantry, chimney brushes which were not in stock at our local hardware stores...so I took advantage of ONE MONTH FREE of Amazon Prime. (At $119 per year I will not renew as I won't make up the cost in shipping and their free movies/TV series are not worth it in my opinion.

 But...here are three gay-themed entries I would recommend if anyone has Amazon Prime. 

RETAKE: POPCORN

The first, Retake, Starring: Devon Graye, Tuc Watkins follows a middle age gay man who picks up hustlers on the street in San Francisco and pays them to "role play" a past lover so he could re-live a past memory. 

The first hustler didn't satisfy his needs but the next one not only "gets it" but is adept at taking on a new identity and acting out his required role. The two take off to recreate a trip to the Grand Canyon. (not sure why it took so long to get there, but that was the only flaw) 

The dynamics and relationship between the two men is quite artfully portrayed by Graye (Brandon/Adam) and Phillips (Jonathan). Graye delivers an often delicate balance between the his role as Brandon and his real self Adam.

I'll give this one 5*stars because as gay-themed movies go, they are mostly kind of amateurish and poorly acted. This one was not only great acting but it was certainly not a "run-of-the-mill" plot. No murders, no cops chasing criminals, no guns, no loud music. Just good acting, interesting plot development and dialogue.

 

 

 AFTER FOREVER: KLEENEX

This is a series that I hope to finish before our free month expires. The episodes are short but packed with intensity. 

This is about two older guys (but much younger than me and in much better shape) which is told in present-day vs flashbacks. I won't be a spoiler except to say I could only get through three episodes and had to take a break. It's a tear-jerker.

 

And how could I forget the new movie "UNCLE FRANK" (Popcorn) About Frank, a gay Southerner and his niece, Beth. They return to the family home with for his dad's farewell. Husband Wally follows them and the long delayed coming out at the funeral is punctuated by undercurrents of Frank's father's rejection of him which are played out and take center stage.

3 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

Both sound great. Thanks for the recommendation. Amazon is coming in handy for me now that I'm shipping something monthly to my brother along with our random orders here. However, three different series we started to watch, hung up a few episodes in (turns out they hang up for everyone) and we can get no help from Amazon. Afraid to try another series, get hooked, and then get stuck.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

"Retake" looks intriguing.

Bob said...

I really like Tuc Watkins. I think he's really come into his own as an actor. He used to play the sort of dim bulb pretty gay, but now has taken on much better roles.
And just that preview of After Forever had me welling up.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails