Monday, June 24, 2024

Stop the Merry-Go-Round! I Want to Get Off

 Yesterday morning, as we were heading to Santa Fe, I was driving, and Leon was listening to some YouTube video in which the interviewer was asking people whether “Pride has gone too far.”

I wasn’t listening too closely for whatever reason, and I assumed that it was a gay interviewer, talking to gay people about pride. When I did start listening, it sounded to me like everyone who responded was totally missing the point.

It was like they had never heard of Stonewall and or the gay liberation front and or the centuries of oppression and violence directed toward sexual minorities.

I said I wish I could respond, but not really. I’m getting to really hate these man and/or woman and/or whoever on the street interviews. 

But then Leon started reading the comment section. The comments were even more bizarre, confused, misinformed, and hateful.

I was very confused about whether the YouTube video itself was posted by an ally or an enemy. (Checking on this later today I find he - the YouTuber is a 19 year old black kid who seems to get all his misinformation from Newsmax. So that explains it.)

Obviously, most of the commenters were ignorant, hateful people. I’ve seen enough stupid and disrespectful comments on LGBTQ positive websites. So all this was just too much.

I really just wanted to scream “Shut up!” Exasperated, I said to Leon, “There’s just no escape. Isn’t there somewhere we can go to get away from this madness? I fucking can’t stand people anymore.”

I’m convinced that the percentage of ignorant, uneducable imbeciles has increased exponentially since you know who was elected in 2016 and became president in January of 2017. It is definitely approaching a critical mass.

P.S. I was going to post the video of Merry-go-round by Wildman Fisher but it’s just too irritatingly stupid. If you want to listen to it, you can go to this link.

https://youtu.be/CHqR1Rql5r8?si=eeAc2hSep2GGwVWj

5 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

All these lies and hateful views are being spread by right-wing evangelical churches and MAGA extremists. Ignorant people just lap that shit up. All our patient educating done by our community over the last 55 years since Stonewall must now be patiently repeated again. And again. And again. People of goodwill will listen and understand. Extremists and fanatics will not.

VoenixRising said...

I assume that by you-know-who, you meant the Orange Russian Wig Stand who was "elected" in 2016, and not our current Presidnt, Handsome Joe Biden, elected in 2020. Or did you mean that the uneducated masses are simply coming out of the woodwork post Biden victory because of all the BS over the election being "stolen"? I'm unclear here...

Frank said...

Thanx, Mark, my mistake...and it was a big one. Lack of sleep is taking a toll. Fixed it. (the post not the insomnia)

Russ Manley said...

Whoa there, pardner. JMG just today posted this article based on the Gallup Poll that shows acceptance of gays is down by only a percentage point or two: https://www.joemygod.com/2024/06/gallup-marriage-equality-support-near-record-high/

It's election year - the haters are putting more and scarier propaganda now on all subjects but most people aren't buying it. However, somebody needs to keep putting the quiet, reasonable truth out there.

Moving with Mitchell said...

I don’t know what can be done about ignorance. And those commenters always display the worst of it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails