Saturday, December 31, 2022

Cards? Not a Topic of My Blog Till Now.

 We played cards last evening with friends in Santa Fe. A big night out for us. Jeff and Joe invited us. They are the card players and were eager to teach four neophytes. Sam and Alan, Leon and I were game, so to speak. I don't think any of the four of us were really card players and certainly not card sharks.

The game was "Pennies from Heaven" and was a variation on a variation of some some other similar game (Hand and Foot?). 

Whoever came up with the algorithm for this game was either a genius or a sadist. I think we were using six decks of cards for six players. Sevens, threes, red, black, books, wild cards. Alan and I were getting a bit confused. Leon and Sam seemed to pick it up rather quickly.

Here are the rules (with slight variations as far as I can tell):

https://gamerules.com/rules/pennies-from-heaven/

This is very similar to what we were playing with a few variations.

   

Well, it was fun to get together. We played the game, had some laughs, had some libations and ate good food.(My homemade focaccia with sausage, gorganzola and caramelized onions; cheese and crackers; shrimp with cocktail sauce; cherry pie) 

The main thing is that we were with good friends for the evening.

Alan suggested however, that the next time he and I do some knitting while the others play cards. I said, "If you think I can mess up a game of cards, just wait till you see what I do with a ball of yarn." 


2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

CARDS!!! My Rare One and I love to play cards. One of our faves is "Hand and Foot Canasta" which is very similar to what you were playing. There are a MILLION variations of Hand and Foot; it seems like everyone who plays has their own unique set of rules, lol. But cards are a fun, inexpensive activity and an easy way to socialize with people while still having "something to do."

Moving with Mitchell said...

SG grew up playing cards (what else do you do in South Dakota in winter?) and I learned to enjoy it with him. We learned Hand & Foot from good friends in San Diego in the '90s and it became my favorite game. The only card-playing friends we have here loved it when we taught them the game, but they have two kids and the interruptions and distractions are endless. Would love to have a Jeff and Joe around.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails