Saturday, July 30, 2022

When I Was 17 I Worked in a Grocery Store

 And I have been shopping in grocery stores ever since and have a critical eye. So yesterday my trip to Smith's (Kroger's) was an absolute nightmare. I only had a few things on my list...and found even fewer. The "everything" bagels were sold out and what was left were plain, blueberry and chili cheese. Yuk,yuk,yuk. There was no regular plain black tea bags, they were out of fig cookies and most other varieties, there were no decent greens (I can never find escarole anymore) in the produce department, and I was having sticker shock in every isle. It was like they were pricing things by picking random numbers. Picked up a few other necessities...When I went to get our standby frozen yogurt (half the calories of ice cream so you can eat twice as much) the entire ice cream section had been wiped out due to a freezer malfunction, there was melted ice cream and mostly empty shelves. There were two check-outs open with lines of people waiting and I went to self check-out where everyone was having issues and the clerk was frantically trying to fix their problems and of course my check-out machine also froze just before I was done and I had to wait my turn to get the over-ride from the clerk. 

Maybe if they paid decent wages they could keep their employees.

Not to mention that I was already in a bad mood. But what else is new? (Charlie Brown said to Lucy (me) "You were born crabby, you're crabby now, and you will be crabby for the rest of your life.")

And the internet has been down for two days. This has been happening too often, 

And for no good reason I have not been able to see or post comments on blogs with my iPhone for the past week or so.


6 comments:

Bob said...

It sounds like a Murphy's Law kind of week. Hopefully it will pass!

VoenixRising said...

It's been a week from hell, all around. I feel your pain.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Well, I sure hope your week improves! Yeah, supply line shortages and inflation have robbed all the joy from going grocery shopping, that's for sure.

Russ Manley said...

Kroger's is our neighborhood store, and was a really nice one until a few years ago Aldi's and Winco opened up down the road. So first Kroger cancelled their 10% discount for seniors - sent us a snippy email saying they had "retired" it - we didn't think the pun was a damn bit funny, we depended on that discount.

And ever since, they have gone downhill fast. Even before the "supply chain issues" hit, they were badly stocking the shelves, and never enough checkers to handle the crowds of shoppers. After 8 p.m., often there are no humans at the checkout line, only self-checkouts. A pleasant shopping place has become an irksome struggle. Ugh.

BTW, what's escarole? Greens to us are turnips, collards, and mustard.

And you mean there's more than one kind of bagel? Who knew?

Frank said...

I envy you...you have Aldi's. I used to shop there often...not for everything but many of their product are good quality. The Ikea of grocery stores.


"What Is Escarole?
Also known as broad-leaved endive, Bavarian endive, Batavian endive, and scarole, escarole has broad, curly green leaves, and a slightly bitter flavor. The outer leaves tend to be darker in color and more bitter, while the inner leaves are more tender. The chicory is often bunched and placed with heads of fresh lettuce, away from its close relatives radicchio and endive. It's more expensive than lettuce since it is considered a specialty item. This vegetable requires little preparation before using, often only needing a quick rinse."

Moving with Mitchell said...

Grumpy of the Seven Dwarfs (why isn’t it spelled dwarves?) is called Gruñon in Spain. It’s SG’s nickname. And he wears it proudly.

Growing up in Brooklyn, I have always hated supermarket shopping. The aggression, the competition, the arguments. I’m finally better about it now. But, I feel your pain.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails