Monday, July 18, 2022

I Become Less Optimistic Every Day

 Let me refer you all to this link:

Holy Bullies - Christofascism

 Tell me what you think.

 Here's what I think even without thinking to long and hard:

This is frightening. And what makes it that much more frightening is that the forces driving it are irrational, insidious and infiltrating and have already infiltrated our government at every level. 

The statements are contrived and the recitation made to appear "prayer-like" or based in religion. They are neither. The statements are political, reactionary and I would say subversive or even treasonous. 

This country (and we are not alone) is in danger of being taken over (not taken back) by fanatical "religious" cultists. It is already happening.

These people are like the individuals who've been appropriated by the Borg on Star Trek or like the goat-head weeds that germinate after a desert rain and grow like wild in days - They look quite non-threatening but their thorny seeds can puncture a bicycle tire or cause serious injury.

In some way it also reminds me of having to recite the Pledge of Allegiance back in grade school. I always felt uncomfortable, like we were all being brainwashed or controlled and mindlessly following some cult. 

 I also remember back in the 70s when the charismatic movement began to "infiltrate" the Catholic church and I guess it was called "pentecostal" in protestant churches. I thought that was scary. But I'm pretty sure this is the result. 

At this point in my life I have a great mistrust of ALL religions and have a "show me" by your behavior and actions what procedes from your beliefs.

How do we push back against such an irrational cult?

5 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I always said that when fascism comes to the USA, it would be wrapped in the American flag and carrying a Bible. The reason dogmatical/evangelical Christians are such fertile ground for right-wing extremist ideology is that they are proven gullible fools who will believe anything.

Frank said...

Debra, Your comments go to my junk mail folder...I think I find them eventually

Russ Manley said...

There so much I could say here, but I'll try to keep it brief.

What these Dominionists want is a theocracy, like the Islamic Republic of Iran, or other places, where the government is merely a tool for the religious leaders to control everyone and everything. That was most certainly NOT the intent of the Founding Fathers, or anyone else alive at that time that I know of. It's another Big Lie, and a powerful one in the minds of the ignorant and resentful.

Not all Republicans are Dominionists per se, but the majority are religious conservatives who would like to see "Biblical morality" enacted into law. The see themselves as the righteous people fighting against the powers of evil. This also is a very powerful motivation.

The payoff for these beliefs are, I think, 1) Identity - being one of the "good guys" fighting the "good fight"; 2) Superiority - human nature is so constituted that it must always have a scapegoat to look down on and blame for bad things that happen (this is true of rich and poor, black and white, Democrats and liberals and atheists, too, BTW); and 3) Security - the world is a scary place, always has been; by controlling the world around me, I make the world safer for ME. And control - the more rigid, the better - is what authoritarian types (namely, many Republicans) love.

You ask, How do we push back against all this? Well, what do "we" have to offer that is more attractive? More satisfying? More soothing and comforting?

I will stop here and leave the question open.

But I will say that the subtexts of the left for the last 60-odd years - e.g., Do your own thing; If it feels good, do it; Never feel guilt or shame for anything you do; Let it all hang out; I gotta be ME, etc., etc. - are not cutting it any more. The worship of the Self is not a unifying belief, but quite the opposite.

So what IS the unifying, inspiring idea we can rally people around?

The clock is ticking.

Frank said...

Russ, I disagree with your statement that the Democratic philosophy or subtext is "Do your own thing; If it feels good, do it; Never feel guilt or shame for anything you do; Let it all hang out; I gotta be ME" I'm sorry if you see it that way and that's coming from a former would-be Woodstock 70s hippie. And I'm very sorry if the republican-evangelical-conservative-authoritarians see it that way.

I always believed (and still do) that democrats advocate universal health care, women's and LGBTQ rights, fair wages, affordable housing, safe and modern roads, bridges, infrastructure, not poisoning the environment, sensible gun laws, controlling runaway climate change, equitable laws and fair justice, non-discrimination, keeping out of people's sex lives, taxing the wealthy for their fair share, funding services that we all depend on for safety, health and the common good.

If this is not more attractive, more satisfying, more soothing and comforting, I don't know what is.

Russ Manley said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails