Sunday, January 2, 2022

Into Obscurity

 Watching Willie Geist interview an English singer I've never heard of despite his record-breaking world tours, I remarked to Leon: I bet there are a hundred other singers, much more talented than that guy, who will never see the light of day." I get philosophical about these things...how very talented people  remain forever in obscurity and many others, some with questionable talent get fame and fortune.

I was immediately reminded of Jeff Krassner, a gay musician and songwriter whose music I have in my iTunes Library and which we played during our wedding ceremony in 2014. In particular the songs "Strong for You" and "I Hear the Angels Sing".

So I went to Google and found only two references: one was a 1998 article about Krassner getting the opening of Gay Games in NYC and the other was an obituary. It seems that he really had to put out extraordinary effort to see a glimmer of limelight and produce an album. 

I could find only a handful of references to him or his album, most of which were dead-ends and not much else. Even his obit was a mere three sentences. Too bad he came before social media and other outlets for artists.

Snippets of the songs on his album "Strong For You" can be found here

But I do find his album for sale on Amazon. I think he was a fine singer and songwriter and am sorry that his life and career was cut short. I join him in obscurity.


This was his only music video I could find on YouTube:

4 comments:

Bob said...

It really makes no sense who becomes successful and who doesn't.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

This is very true. Success can often come down to being in the right place at the right time. But as always, whoever said Life is fair?

Moving with Mitchell said...

He had a great voice and sound. Like you, I often marvel at all the talent out there and how hard it must be to connect. Timing is a huge part of it.

Russ Manley said...

"Trick" was a cute little comedy. But fame and fortune in the arts are not distributed evenly. I can tell you that small towns all across the South and right here in Texas are chock full of talented musicians and singers and painters, etc. Many of them, like my late husband Cody, who was a world-class pianist, organist, and choral director, are happy where they are and really just don't want the bright lights and big city.

Those who go seeking success beyond the county line are at the mercy of the producers and directors and tastemakers and what's "in" this year - right now. Which changes all the time, of course.

I once read an interview with Tom Fogerty of CCR, talking about his estranged brother John: he said, "I can sing just fine. But John had a sound. I suppose it's that little something extra that makes the difference.

Or who you sleep with, who knows.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails