Friday, January 8, 2021

Some Thoughts on Current Events

 Our neighborhood has a social media platform with some rules about keeping political and certain other topics confined to sub-groups so as not to offend others. I deliberately broke the rules on Wednesday in the midst of the TV coverage of the Nation's Capitol. So did others who responded. There were only a few, but they seem to reflect what many others were saying and thinking.

I wrote:
And I don't care if I am breaking any Nextdoor rules but there is no place in our democracy for this kind of violence. This is TRUMPISM in action; he is knowingly and deliberately adding fuel to the fire. He is intent on destroying our democracy before Jan 20th.

How ANYONE can or could have supported this maniac is beyond me. and that's all I have to say about these sickening people and these horrible events. For now.

So ban me, Nextdoor! (My post and comments were removed but I copied them)

Talk about a year that has brought me to tears so many times...sad, angry, tearful. This is disgraceful.


AB replied:
Today’s event showed me the hypocrisy by allowing these terrorists to do what they did AND no police or law enforcement of any kind stopped them. Yet for Black Lives Matter protestors who protested for the killings of so many black people being killed daily…

For Native Americans who protested the pipeline on their lands who were brutally attacked with rubber bullets, bullets, teargas, yet today pice stood by and did nothing. Curfew was set, protesters still walking around!

Tell me how we are continuing to tolerate all of this! Sad that people of color do not matter


CD said:
Yep, you are very right. I know this but a part of me just doesn’t want to believe it. No denying it now. Am sickened as well. I’ve spent time in DC and on Capitol Hill over the years. This is what sickens me: The Capitol Police, who spent the summer wearing full riot gear and using tear gas, flash bangs, and rubber bullets against genuinely peaceful protestors blocks away from the Capitol, are now not even arresting Trump supporters who have forced their way past every security line, invaded the Capitol, and even injured police. It’s why they were able to breach the building.

I said:
I will be the first to admit that as an aging "hippie" I am not a flag-waving patriot and I have some issues with reciting the Pledge of Allegiance or any prescribed display of patriotism, mainly because such things have been, for so long, associated with right-wing politics.

However, that is not to say I am un-patriotic. It is, as is my nature, more quiet and reserved. But at times like this, when everything this country is about is violated, I feel the need to speak out my truth to whoever might hear, regardless of whether my speech will be banned. (My comment was removed)

Anyhow, thank you for your kind words. Let's all look toward the future with hope and optimism.


EF said:
Amen, Frank. The beauty of who we are as a country is that you can be anything you choose. If it is your choice not to wave a flag or recite the Pledge of Allegiance then God Bless You. It’s all about freedom. With this evil troll who presently occupies 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, and his idiotic offspring, it’s all about hate, and destruction.


And my 2 cents on Impeachment and the 25th:

Impeachment at this point is both a necessary step and also ultimately symbolic. It can not come to fruition/conviction by the Senate in the limited time available even if there were enough GOP Senators willing to convict. Even if willing in spirit, they are mostly cowards when it come right down to casting that vote. 

As for the 25th Amendment, it all depends on the VP who has given no indication of his willingness to go that route; even if he did, is there a sufficient number of cabinet members to follow through? It seems that resignations are their way to avoid having to deal with that possibility.
 

So, I don't see either of these options as viable for stopping the maniac from causing more harm and destruction to our democracy. There are, I believe, Executive Orders still in the works and a slew of "pardons" to be issued, no doubt, among them, his own. The shit show, I'm afraid, will continue until Biden/Harris are sworn in.

5 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yes, he has 12 days left to wreak havoc.

Russ Manley said...

I haven't had a chance to confirm either of these things by personal research, but I will make note:

1) The idea of a self-pardon is utterly ridiculous. Nobody is above the law; such a thing would be a license to kill and everything else. I never heard of anyone even attempting it before - it is surely a legal non-starter. The last American king who thought he could do anything he pleased was Charles I, and our British brethren put a decisive stop to his thinking in 1649 - google it.

2) Though it may seem a pointless gesture given that shithead's term is soon ending anyway, I have seen it mentioned in news sources that impeachment prohibits the impeachee from ever holding public office again. If so, that would be a protection for the nation and a very deserved end to his horrific career as monster-in-chief.

Psychologically, a number of GOP lawmakers just did a big about-face and are publically repudiating shithead. This mood may or may not lost among them. Better get their votes, any votes, while we can. And put them on record as voting against the monster.

Shithead's essential problem is that he has *never* had to face any consequences for his actions. Now he must. And so must everyone else, politicians and rioters alike, who attacked the u. S. government. Or else, as Mitch McConnell and others have said this week, we really are doomed as a nation and a society.

Moving with Mitchell said...

And the shit show will continue even after the swearing in. I don't envy Biden and Harris the mess they are taking on.

Bob said...

I also made note to people that people of color, and Native Americans, have suffered far worse indignities than losing an election and have NEVER stormed our Capitol.
One interesting note on impeachment that I learned today: _____ can still be impeached even after leaving office and if found guilty would never be able to run for federal office again.
That'd be worth it.

Frank said...

(I don’t know why I cannot click on REPLY to individual comments and in the middle of typing my reply my entire effort just goes “poof” and disappears…blogger….but…)
Russ, I agree with points 1 & 2 and
Bob, if it is indeed true that Impeachment can be pursued beyond Jan 20th that is good news…do you have a source?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails