Thursday, January 29, 2015

Miscellaneous Travels, Churches and Alien Landscapes

I spotted this white monolith from the highway and thought immediately that it looked like photos I've seen of Greece. We zigzagged through El Dorado until we found it. Sure enough, it's a Greek church.



 This old building is in Santa Fe, Canyon Road. Thought the restoration process was interesting.


This is our time machine - the vehicle that took us (Leon and I and a 100 pound Wiemerdor) from Connecticut on our journey to alien landscapes and other times.




Even though I've pretty much had it with religion, I do find church architecture aesthetically pleasing. This not so old church is on the Fort Stanton grounds. I love stonework.







Speaking of Alien landscapes, some are just tacky.

Things in New Mexico can sometimes be an odd mixture of beliefs and elements. I'm not sure what "Christian Supplies" are.

This little tourist attraction made me appreciate "black light" once again.












Now this church even lacks any nice stonework architecture. And the word "primitive" in this context intrigues me and scares me at the same time.

Landscapes that go to the horizon are not something we see in New England. These landscapes have a "time warp" factor due to moving in our spaceship at over 75 miles per hour. Leon was intrigued with the hundreds of square miles of farmland that had to be plowed and planted and harvested: When one begins, where does it end? Where do the tractors and harvesters refuel? There seems to be nothing for miles and miles. One wonders about the economy of farming - whether cotton as many of the fields here, or wheat, or corn, or whatever.

Time-warped power lines and poles.

Appreciate those who work the fields and grow our food. Theirs is a long and lonely row to hoe.


4 comments:

Bob said...

When I saw that first picture, I instantly thought winery, because it vaguely reminds me of the Sterling Vineyards Winery in Napa.

And I, too, while not a religious man, love churches. Go figure!

Moving with Mitchell said...

A truly great collection of photos. I'm with you when it comes to religion. I try to forgot about when I visit churches, but sometimes they just make it so difficult. Christian supplies everywhere. And some are primitive.

Russ Manley said...

The churches are lovely works of architecture, I agree.

Nothing to be afraid of with the Primitive Baptists - just one of many varieties of Baptists, but more low-key and less militant than the majority Southern Baptists. My best friend of years ago, Tommy, who died of the plague, was raised Primitive Baptists - he told me their emphasis was on living a Christian life and attracting people by example, rather than by preaching at them.

Yes, the endless horizons out there are something to behold. But psst - stop wondering about farm equipment and such. Don't tell anybody, but all those farm fields are fake - part of the Grand Cover-Up. There are no tractors or farmhouses. No farmers, either. Just little green lights floating around at night.

If you say I told you so, I'll swear it's a lie!

Russ Manley said...

PS - I think the telephone poles you saw (also fake, of course) are actually not "time-warped" but made from a certain curvy tree that grows in those parts. You should be seeing a lot of wavy fenceposts out there too, made from the same indigenous wood.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails