Sunday, December 24, 2023

Traditions and Validation

An Italian couple hubs and I have become friends with came for dinner last evening. 

They have become like family and we shared conversation about language, travel, food and work among other things. They really love living in the States - I think more than some of us disillusioned citizens. 

And I really enjoyed serving Italian ethnic food (antipasto, homemade ricotta and spinach filled egg crepe manicotti, meatballs, sausage, homemade bread, wine, sambuca, Italian Christmas cookies) to these friends as they gave me their approval of authenticity for my cooking.

So often in New Mexico I feel like I can’t relate. Our non-Italian/American friends have said they like my cooking, but somehow the compliments coming from native Italians carry extra weight!

It was nice to have a cultural connection for a change -- like what I was used to back East. 

We had what our Christmas Day meal would be if we weren’t going to a neighbors on Monday. 

Today, Christmas Eve we’ll have maybe only three (out of seven) fishes (anchovies in fried bread, salmon, shrimp) with a couple of guys from Texas who don’t have a clue why we eat fish!

And in closing...as I likely won't be posting again for days...I will share again the video of my niece Andrea singing a beautiful rendition of O Holy Night. She is truly talented. To all who read and listen: Have a peaceful and restful Christmas and always be there for those you love.

3 comments:

Bob said...

Merry Christmas.

Peace.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sounds like you're having some wonderful get-togethers over Christmas with lots of glorious food! On one of Bobby Flay's recent holiday episodes, they did a Seven Fishes meal competition. And thanks for letting us hear your niece's beautiful singing voice again!

Merry Christmas to you and Leon!

Russ Manley said...

I think I see why you've not been so enchanted with New Mexico. Nice that you have some new friends to give you the validation you've missed.

BTW, these two Texas guys also had no idea why you're eating fish on Christmas Eve. I looked it up on Wikipedia thought (Feast of Seven Fishes) - a nice custom. A while back we decided to make Friday our "fish night," which gives some rhythm to the weekly meals, along with Saturday "soup and sandwich night."

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails