Sunday, May 15, 2022

A Bunch of Random Photos and Thoughts


The photos below are of smoke plumes from the Hermit's Peak and Calf Canyon combined fires near Las Vegas, New Mexico. The two photos were taken within minutes of each other. View from Santa Fe on Saturday afternoon (May 14) which is about 60 miles from the fire.
 
This is one huge fire and has been fanned by extremely high winds for more than a week. The air is much calmer today, so the firefighters have a little relief...very little. There are more than 1,800 firefighters on this site.
 
These are, from what the meteorologists have said, pyro-cumulous clouds that rise up from the heat sucking air inward at the ground and can get heavy and collapse causing winds blowing outward at ground level, which will spread the fire outward. There is science involved and we are all learning new things about wildfires.  
 

This firefighter was featured on the official fire info page. OK!

It is hot and dry here. Supposedly drier than Death Valley.

The Yucca Trees are in bloom. Some of the blooms are top-heavy and leaning over.

Irises have always been one of my favorites.

I forget the name of these wild flowers. Amazing varieties of wild flowers bloom
 despite lack of rain.

Had to photograph all our worldly possessions in case of fire. My cookbooks.

Purple Robe Locust in our back yard.


We Support Ukraine Flower Boxes - a little battered by the high winds

View of a part of the Veggie Gardens from the deck

Another view of the Yucca Tree

First Roses
Some biscotti for dessert


Post Script:

I am having so much trouble with Blogger. If I try to load more than three photos, it will upload all but one and that one will hold up the ability to "Select" the ones that have been uploaded. The upload freezes. I sometimes have to try 3, 4, 5 times or upload only 3 at a time. 

Yes our internet is not the greatest.

Then, once I get the photos on the post and try re-arranging them they often will just vanish (or not space evenly or have blank lines that I cannot get rid of).  Luckily the "undo" button will get them back.  One photo above is off center and nothing I tried will get it in line. 

Also, when trying to post comments, especially on "I Should Be Laughing" I get an un-typeable comment blank. I have to re-load ten times and sometimes change browsers and even then often just give up. So if I don't comment on your blog, please forgive. It has been frustrating.

SO. Blogging has become more of a chore than a pleasure. Which is one reason why I don't post much. Also because I don't have a lot to add to the conversation. 

Who really wants to know how my last physical therapy session went or get daily photos of my tomatoes and peppers? (By the way I have 32 peppers this year, [24 more than usual] all of which I grew from seed. Some are pepperoncini from commercial seed; some are the pizza hot peppers grown from the seeds out of the shaker; some are mini-sweets from seeds I saved from peppers from the grocery store.)

I am also trying artichokes again. I have called artichokes the vegetable from hell. But I will try to befriend them if I actually get an artichoke. The ones from last year are doing great and some new plants I grew this year are catching up.

Last year's artichokes - 2 varieties?

I think the plants are cool, even if I never see an artichoke. Kind of exotic.

New artichoke plant 2022 - there are 4 new plants

Also trying to grow a fig tree. Another kind of exotic specimen for the garden. I didn't think I had protected it enough for the winter, but it is sprouting.

And the FIG TREE made it through the winter! New sprouts.


Prickly Pear from Martha's Vineyard via Connecticut
Oregano

Rio Grande at Peña Blanca this morning - South view

Rio Grande - North view


2 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

Great photos. Interesting about the smoke, which does look heavy. Sorry for all the blogging frustration. I have my days. You’d think it wouldn’t be so problematic.

Russ Manley said...

Great pics, beautiful flowers! And that firefighter - does he make house calls, you think?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails