Friday, June 22, 2012

Back From PTown - Body Philosophical and Gaybe

Spent a few days in PTown without the hubby.  Benni came along, just to keep me company and get me to talk to people...people always talk to people with dogs.  I've been a bit out of touch with the news, though I got the gist of things on the morning news.

I don't understand why the Republicans aren't blaming Obama for the falling gas prices.  It's gotta be bad for the big oil corporations.  I just don't get it.  

And a Catholic Bishop was finally indicted for not reporting one of his priests who he was aware had been accused of taking lewd photos of a young girl.  While the whole ongoing clerical sexual abuse of children and cover up by the Catholic Church is utterly despicable and sad, I hope this comes as a WAKE UP to a church that is living in a land of denial.

First some photos.  While things on Cape Cod don't change much, the land is striking for its natural beauty, both seaward and landward.
So Near Yet So Far
View of PTown From Outer Reach Resort in Truro
Truro Cottages
Another View 
One Of The Motel Units
Outer Reach Resort Motel - Truro
Outer Reach is Very Dog Friendly 
The Wharf in PTown


Blueberries Coming Into Season
Jet Trails To Boston From Across The Pond
(Forgot to Straighten the Horizon Here)
Kite At Sunset

Art In Nature
The Never-Promised Rose Garden
Dinner At Bubala's
Spinach, Mushroom,  Feta, Warm Bacon Vinaigrette Salad
With Pan Seared Shrimp and Dry Vermouth on the Rocks
With Tip - An Extravagant 30$


Bubala's

For Sumer Solstice

Summers always mix me up.
A sound, a smell
the feel of warm sun on sun-baked shoulders
body molded to soft hot sand
half asleep
a fleeting memory in guise of a dream.

Eight years ago
and not something you can get hold of –
an adolescent emotion.
It’s hard to be twenty-three
when you’ve stayed fifteen for eight years
eight summers.

I think in summer
I’ll always be fifteen
somewhere deep inside.
It’s as if there’s something there I left unfinished.
Perhaps it was only a sand castle
washed away by a tide come too soon.

Yes, it was something like that.

June 1971 (To J.V.)

Fifteen Plus Forty-Nine

There was a time, many years in fact, that I could spend all day at the beach and not be bored.  Things besides just the sand are shifting.

My attitudes have shifted somewhat to my age...and my flesh has shifted as well.  The skin below my man-boobies is a wide band of WHITE bordered by TAN after sitting in the sun.  I've got "liver-spots" all over which hopefully do not become cancerous. The ugly skin tags seem to multiply monthly and I have to remind myself that they are not ticks sucking my blood so I don't mistakenly pull another one off with my bare fingers in the middle of the night and end up oozing blood...

I find it hard to believe that I was once 35 (let alone 15 or 23) and somewhat OK looking.  I was never great looking or even very good looking.  Once, Leon and I had gym memberships for about two years.  We would go almost every day, do the machines and keep track of our progress.  Neither of us ever really lost much weight or toned up.  Our abs remained absent.  Our biceps were upset.  Our pecs were pecthetic.  I hated going to the gym.  Maybe my body knew that and refused to get beautiful.

Seeing all the pretty men in PTown,  - and its not yet "in season" - even the some of the older gents who've kept the flab under control, has me reflecting on the old body.  I don't know how other guys do it.  Perhaps they start very young.  But I think it is genetic.  Or at least certain genes are conducive to improving the looks of an already gifted body.

Appearing Soon in PTown

Sometime in my forties I noticed that my medium size shirts were getting tight, not in the waist but in the chest.  For some odd reason my chest/ribcage was expanding, and I was looking barrel-chested.  I needed to buy large size shirts.  Eventually my waist and belly grew into the new shirts.  Now I just have this rather odd-shaped body with a large torso, skinny arms and legs and absolutely no butt.

I have all my original teeth, albeit with fillings and a few crowns, not terribly misaligned, but could have used braces when I was a kid.  Our dentist was old-fashioned and not one to suggest such procedures, nor could my family afford it if he had.  If I could have straightened my teeth, my toes and my nose, I probably would have done that too.  And I'd have a more prominent Achilles tendon.  I was so introverted that I couldn't stand up straight and felt embarrassed when told to do so.  Now I am somewhat permanently round-shouldered or hunchbacked.

But ordinary looking people and ugly people can be sensual as much as good looking people.  Yet don't we equate sensuality with the gorgeous and sexy, and rarely with the ordinary or unattractive?

I find it hard to believe that I am already 64, not so good looking but still sensual.  I see too many good looking guys on the internet and then, my gosh, I am shocked when I look in the mirror and none of them are looking back.  I have an image of myself in my mind that is still 35 and OK looking.  He doesn't look back at me either.

 And now for a little fun, look at the kids nowadays.  I can't even imagine doing this back in high school or college and I definitely wasn't as pretty;  So are they gay or straight?

5 comments:

Russ Manley said...

Re: the boys in the video. If they're not gay, they have certainly missed a wonderful opportunity. Kids these days, sheesh.

But Frank, notice that there's only one of them who has a really pretty smile. All the rest just seem cute because they are healthy young animals: Youth has its own beauty. In 20 or 30 years, they will all be wrinkled and pudgy and boring, you know. That's the human condition, none of us can escape it.

Even those movie stars etc. who seem to keep the glamour going in their 50s, 60s, and 70s don't do it without some major movie magic and cheating that they don't let on about.

Like you guys, I once belonged to a Nautilus gym - supposed to be the Cadillac of weight training equipment. After 2 or 3 years, also like you, I couldn't tell any difference either. I think we all have a talent - some guys have it for bodybuilding, the rest of us in other areas.

Even ol' Will the Bard knew the feeling of being trapped in a body, a state of being, that wasn't to his liking: "wanting this man's art, and that man's scope." So it's not just you and me, it's most everybody.

You, however, are the only dude I have ever heard wishing for a bigger, um, Achilles tendon. Grin.

Frank said...

Too bad there are too few "healthy young animals" nowadays - so many kids are overweight at such a young age. It is so sad to see them knowing that they are at just beginning a life full of health problems.

And feet can be real sexy or as Patrick Stewart says in 'Jeffery'..."Sorry Misha, not without socks"

Russ Manley said...

Ha. To each his own, I guess. I agree there is such a thing as a beautiful pair of hands or feet - but in practice, I never notice . . . I'm too busy looking at other things.

Grin.

Anonymous said...

In all honesty, I know you were not fishing for compliments but you're gonna get one anyhow....you are absolutely scrumptious...take that, put it in your pipe and smoke it.
Coming from an artist who is very much fond of beauty.

saludos,
raulito

Frank said...

Raulito, I don't know what to say...thanks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails