Sunday, April 14, 2024

More New Mexico for Rock Lovers

 I know I've posted New Mexico wilderness and the petrified "forest" before, but every time we go out I find it fascinating and so photogenic.

Spent a glorious, blue-sky day with friends exploring the wilderness and petrified "forest" here in New Mexico. We have been out there many times and it is always fascinating and fun. Wish I knew more about geology and botany. 

One of our friends found a fossil sea shell. The prickly pear cactus growing out of a crack in a petrified log was pretty cool. The crystalline interior of one log is visible below. The video starts with a long petrified log and goes into a panorama of the area. We also saw dozens of feral horses and some were just stunning.






























3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

A pretty unique area of the country alright.

Moving with Mitchell said...

Breathtaking. My sister-in-law lived in Durango, Colorado for years. She said deserts were gray and boring with nothing to see. We lived in and around California and Nevada deserts. I knew that her problem was she simply wasn’t looking. I’m glad you guys are looking!

Russ Manley said...

It's not my cup of mineral matter; but M.P. had a rock tumbler as a kid and says some of those rocks turn into beauties when they are polished up a little. BTW, nice to hear that there's *something* you do like about damned old New Mexico! lol

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails