Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Pessimistic Rebel and Papal Politics

Years of the Rat Coming to an End
I don't know what it is, but I feel like crap.  The winter is so tiring.  I  am weary and uninspired.  This thing called aging sucks.  I'm not doing it gracefully.  Got a bill from the liver biopsy that almost gave me a stroke...and that was AFTER the insurance paid what they thought it was worth.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could all pay our bills for the amount we thought the commodity was worth?  Oil delivery, I think it's worth about 60% of the charge; groceries, 75%, cell phone and satellite TV, maybe 20%, dinner out...

So I went and changed a number of upcoming appointments until after my Medicare kicks in.  It all got me in a nasty mood and I didn't sleep well last night.  So I feel like crap today.

In another life I might comment on the Pope's resignation.  All the gay blogs are just a twitter, so to speak: how wonderful that the Rat is resigning.  But don't get all excited, boys.  The Catholic Church has a long and distinguished history of persecuting gays, and no matter who is elected, don't expect that to change.

There was only one John XXIII, and he is long dead and they've done their best to have him forgotten.

It all comes down to politics. The vultures waiting in the wings are likely no better than the Rat and will certainly not have great changes on homosexuality or women's ordination on their priority list.  In other words - don't hold your breath.  Thanks to Jayden Cameron at Gay Mystic for a link to a Papal Contender Lineup at Business Insider, complete with profiles and the betting odds, if you're interested.


Right now, I could care less.


There was a time when I naively believed that the church was above politics.  There was a time when I actually believed that God worked in mysterious ways, that the Spirit guided the church...I can't see it now.

It is a dark and ominous church, and the Spirit, if ever there was one, is barely alive or visible.

So, we are here, surrounded by piles of snow several feet high and the consistency of fresh cement.  Leon shoveled part of the roof yesterday and we had to then remove that snow from the walkway.  Southern climates look better every year...

Well, I've got to get out today and find a place where I can actually walk or hike with Benni the dog.  The snow is even too deep for him and he is a tall boy.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about how much we pay for cable net service? I pay $60 a month for mine and I'm reading the book "Captive Audience" by Susan Crawford. In it she backs up the assertion that 95% of what we pay for net service is pure profit. So that $60, actually costs Cox $3.00 to provide per month.

That irks me - I mean if if you did a 500% markup it'd still be only $15 a month they'd charge me.

If I get a little money I'm sending a copy of this book to all my legislators.

Russ Manley said...

I don't really expect B-16's successor to be radically better - but each handover of power opens up a tiny crack where some good change could slip through. I hope. I just hope it's not one of those African archbishops in league with the murderous, queer-killing regimes in places like Uganda and Nigeria.

Russ Manley said...

PS - You may be interested in reading this reflection on Benedict's papacy:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/johncassidy/2013/02/good-riddance-to-pope-benedict-he-was-a-disaster.html#entry-more

Stan said...

I feel your pain. I'm still paying off my hospital bill every month from last summers stay.
As far as winter goes I'm really thinking of moving to Florida. I miss the sun.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails