Friday, July 21, 2023

Anthony Dominick Benedetto (August 3, 1926 – July 21, 2023), known professionally as Tony Bennett

Tony Bennett passed away this morning at the age of 96. He had a beautiful, warm and melodious voice. (I think he was always better than Sinatra). A beautiful singing voice is such a gift and singers like Bennett generously share that gift with us and even those like me who are tone deaf can be moved.

It is sad losing a legend like Bennett. I'm not sure why his passing is making me teary-eyed because he was never particularly important or influential in my life. But I did appreciate his talent and enjoy his recordings. We will have his legacy to enjoy for years to come. Thank you Tony.

I guess it was A Good Life.

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sad news I hadn't heard yet. Yes, I was a fan. What a gorgeous voice he had. And he was clearly so thrilled when he became popular again in his later years -- his "second act" that he said he thought would never come again after his huge initial success.

Russ Manley said...

Tony lived a long life and had a wonderful career that outlasted all his contemporaries'. And a marvelous, warm voice - an American treasure - that never wore out! Sinatra just didn't compare. (We can't stand him, frankly.)

His endearing recording of "I Lost My Heart" will forever be an icon of San Francisco, like the Golden Gate Bridge and the cable cars. What greater success could anyone want?

Rest in peace, Tony.

Moving with Mitchell said...

He put something special into every song he sang. Brilliance. And what he did in later years with the likes of Amy Winehouse and Lady Gaga was astounding.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails