Tuesday, September 12, 2023

A Few Thoughts on Hearst Castle

 Leon and I went to Hearst Castle for the first time yesterday. While I was predisposed to be disgusted by the opulent display of wealth, I was surprised to find that I was actually impressed in spite of it. The tour and the film after the tour were quite informative. William R. Hearst was an interesting fellow, not at all like the infamous money grabbing ex president we all despise. 

His collaboration with architect Julia Morgan, a pioneer in the field, was both unusual (as it was a many years project with lots of re-do changes that I would think an architect would quickly become impatient) and it was also a very creative working relationship.

As is my particular bent, I was more impressed with the exterior of the building and more particularly the grounds and gardens and lush flora. The interior was grand, but to me somewhat dark and boring. I didn't take any photos inside the building.

The project of bringing all the concrete, iron, marble and other building materials up the very long, winding and steep road (that was not necessarily smoothly paved back then) was a daunting task in itself. The hill overlooks the Pacific at 1,600 feet above sea level. I could not get a good photo of the road but I assure you it was miles long and very winding and, in places, rather steep.

Here are a few photos:







The fact that there was an Emergency EXIT on the ROOF of the bus did not make me feel secure in the least.







5 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

In all our years in California, we never went to Hearst Castle although we were nearby may times. You and I share the same sentiment (obscene displays of wealth and privilege don’t sit well with me), although like you I probably would have enjoyed seeing it.

Frank said...

In all my years in Connecticut I never went to the Statue of Liberty (saw it from afar but never up close) nor have I been to Ellis Island - which I would like to see some day.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Pretty magnificent view! That pool and classical colonnade are exquisite.

Bob said...

I went a couple of times while living in California and always loved the architecture and gardens and pools best.

Russ Manley said...

Wouldn't want to live there but looks lovely to visit.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails