Sunday, May 18, 2014

Tired Gardener

I Splurged For This Hibiscus $15 Yikes! But I Like the Color
Haven't been blogging much or reading blogs much now that we have finally got some decent springtime weather in New England. We may have snow next week or floods or scorching heat. I've concluded that the weather is no longer predictable based on my previous 60 plus years' knowledge of the seasons. But this past week or so, except for a day of rain, has been very pleasant. I wanted to make the most of it and get lots of yard work done. Hence: I'm a tired gardener.

Is it me or does it seem that the yard work and gardening gets more difficult every year? The joints and muscles ache more, that's for sure.
The Garden - Before Tilling
Spent one afternoon Roto-tilling the garden. I don't kinow what is more work, using a spade or fighting with Roto-tiller. I guess the Roto-tiller is easier in the long run as the garden is about 40 feet by 11 feet. Here is the garden after tilling and planting. The crops include: 10 tomatoes, 9 Italian frying pepper, 2 hot pepper, 4 classic eggplant, 4 Iciban eggplant, 3 radicchio, 8 broccoli, a row of swiss chard, a double row (4 varieties) of beans, zucchini, yellow squash, cucumbers, parsley, basil, lettuce, endive. I always plant too much in a small space.

I probably spent (or will end up spending) about $75 - $100 on plants and seeds and organic nutrients and organic bug sprays. Used to be that poor people planted gardens. I find garden plants are getting more and more expensive each year. Leon and I are certainly not wealthy by any means, but fortunately I can still afford my garden.

All Planted and Fenced - View From the SW 
View From the NE
I always wonder if the creosote coated utility pole makes all my organic gardening for naught. The fencing is to keep out the rabbits and the dog.
The New Compost Bin Made From Scrap Plywood
The Recycled Fence
No Caption Needed
The Cactus and Iris Garden
I wish I had a dollar for every pound of stone and rock I've hauled or moved in my lifetime. The rocks in the cactus garden and the stone wall and the patio and walkways. At least 15 tons, I what did I get? Another day older and deeper in debt...
I'm not at all happy with the quality of photos I'm getting with the iPhone
We Are Built on Rock
The Hostas are Coming Up
Leon's Work Van and Truck, My Honda Fit
Springtime Fern

5 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

Your gardens are gorgeous (even if you are disappointed in the photos). I loved gardening in New England. Hostas! The hibiscus is gorgeous. I would have splurged, too. There are hedges of hibiscus all over town here. We never had any luck with them in our gardens in California.

Stan said...

I've seen those yellow hibiscus plants for sale too but I'm in an apartment now otherwise I would get one. That's about what they're going for here too.
I got tired just reading about all the work you did so I hope you have a good crop this year.
Looks like some of the trees are still bare up there too.

Russ Manley said...

Hibiscus are one of my favorites, and that's a lovely one. I'm always struck by how pretty and cozy your little kingdom looks, indoors and out. You have a lot to be proud of there, and thankful for.

I know the winters are tough, but hey anywhere you live there's always something - hurricanes, tornadoes, fires, floods, earthquakes, mosquitoes, horseflies, rattlesnakes, bears, skunks, locusts, yuppies. We get most of the above in TX, which is a charter member of the Plague-of-the-Month Club.

Frank said...

Yeah, hibiscus are very showy plants. Love the colors and had a hard time deciding on the tequila sunrise.

Our cozy little place has been a blessing for sure. But the long winters are hard on the spirit. We may just take extended vacations during the winter and stay on here. Every time I do the Find Your Spot quiz I get a list of places that I wouldn't want to live in. I think the quiz is flawed. Or could it really be that no place is perfect?

Russ Manley said...

Remember what Glenda told Dorothy: There's no place like home . . .

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails