Friday, April 30, 2010

UGH!

Last night just before going to bed I received an email from a relative.  It stated: "This will curdle your blood and curl your hair."  There was a photo of President Obama holding a book and the book was enlarged to show its title.  Apparently this is an old email that has been circulating around for a while.  The title of the book is "The Post American World".
(Photo - credit not available)
But the "explanation" given in the email, and I quote,
"The name of the book Obama is reading is called: The Post-American World, and it was written by a fellow Muslim. "Post" America means the world After America ! Please forward this picture to everyone you know, conservative or liberal. We must expose Obama's radical ideas and his intent to bring down our beloved America ! "
Don't you just love the choice of words?:  "fellow Muslim" and  "Post America (sic) means the world after America"  and "our beloved America".  Don't you just love how these folks check their facts and make a pretzel look straight?

Well, I was ready for bed and had been dozing off a bit 'till I read that email.  It curdled my blood and curled my hair all right, but for a very different reason than intended by the intrusive missive.  I decided to check the facts for myself.  Wikipedia was informative, and gave a great deal of information about the book, its thesis and the author.  If anything the book is PRO-AMERICA! and not at all what the email wants you to believe!   It was late, but I emailed the page to all recipients anyway and went to bed a little shaky.

It's been bothering me all day.  Using the internet to disseminate information is nobel, but using it to disseminate mis-information is downright:
 1. an evil deedwickedbadwrongimmoralsinfulfoulvile,dishonorablecorruptiniquitousdepravedreprobatevillainous,nefariousviciousmaliciousmalevolentsinisterdemonicdevilish,diabolicalfiendishdarkmonstrousshockingdespicableatrocious,heinousodiouscontemptiblehorribleexecrableinformal lowdown,dirty. .

How can people be so IGNORANT? Why do others just believe what they read?  Why do they insist on spreading lies and hatred.  What would be the point?

I did get two replies, one from someone I don't know who bandied "free speech" around like it was permission to be ignorant; the other was from another, more enlightened relative who was as offended as I was.  Thank god.

There, I feel a little better now.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails