Friday, April 2, 2010

Easter Sunday edit:
Last night (Saturday) made a Chiffon Ricotta Cheesecake with Toasted Almonds for today's dinner.
(And I wonder why I can't lose a few pounds)














Just took these Easter Breads out of the oven for you.
Did four small ones instead of two large ones. One for us, one for my sister, one for my cousins, one for my brother, one for ... on no, I need five.














Is there a recipe? Well, I took 1 1/2 packets of active dry yeast. Added 1 cup warm milk and about 1 cup of water, three eggs, about 3/4 cup sugar, some salt, and about 1 1/2 sticks of very soft butter. Added flour a cup at a time and beat it with a wooden spoon till it went from a batter to a soft dough. Then kept adding flour (I couldn't tell you the exact amount) and kneading till the dough was not wet or too sticky, but smooth and soft. Let it rise for 2 hours. Added citron and raisins while folding and kneading. Formed 12 "ropes" of dough. Braided three ropes for each bread. Placed the breads on a cookie sheet. Placed a raw egg on each bread underneath a dough rope. Let rise for about 1 1/4 hour. Heated the oven to about 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Brushed the breads with egg wash (an egg and water scrambled). Baked for 15 minutes. Rotated the cookie sheets (top rack to bottom and bottom to top). Baked another 10 minutes. Removed from oven. Took picture.

The Amaryllis has bloomed again this year. I kind of wish it was red, but white is nice for Easter. Have a blessed season everyone!

11 comments:

Apsalted by the Lord said...

Those look great. Usually I make a rolled bread that has a lot of apples and cinnemon in it, but I doubt I'll do any of that this year. Just no time to bake anymore.

Have a Happy Easter.

Oh, what happens with the egg that is baked in those?

FDeF said...

Someone gets it for breakfast, of course. I know I've got plans for one.

Russ Manley said...

Flower is beautiful, and the breads look *very* yummy Frank, good job. But also looks like the chickens got out of the coop and used them to nest on, is that one o'them I-talian things? Grin.

I'm going to pass this on to my Cajun ex-Catholic ex-roommate, wonder if he is familiar with these kinds of loaves.

FDeF said...

I guess the bread is Italian, although many European countries have similar traditional Easter breads. I'm sure your Cajun friend will appreciate it, its similar to, but not as sweet as a King Cake. And those damn chickens running around in the kitchen while I'm rising bread dough...glad they're not bunny rabbits...

Russ Manley said...

ROFL!

Jeepguy said...

Great looking bread, Frank. Also like your amarylis. It's always cool when they come back.

Helpful Household Hint: If you get too many bunny rabbits running around while you're making bread, just tell everyone it's raisin bread. ;)

Happy Easter!

Russ Manley said...

OMG the cheesecake looks divine. I wasn't hungry till I pulled up the pic, now I'm ravenous.

You should start some kind of catering business, even just baked goods. Seems you have a real talent for that kind of thing.

Jeepguy said...

Yeah, I second Russ here. Your cheesecake looks _way_ yummy! I can tell you really like cooking, and I'll bet there's lots of folks that love eating at your place.

Better a little round and jolly than skinny and cranky, I say!

FDeF said...

Oh, but I am cranky - Cranky Frankie - just ask Leon who's put up with 22 years of Crank!

Russ Manley said...

A favorite quote of mine: "Thin people are crunchy and dull, like carrots." --Suzanne Britt

deframj said...

Thanks for the Easter bread!!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails