Thursday, January 14, 2010

Peeking in, cuz I can't stay away

Amidst all the suffering and strife in the world from Uganda to Haiti to California about which I can do so very little, I find myself focused on pet peeves like public radio.

Dear Faith,
    I don't catch your show as often as I would like, but do enjoy it when I do.  However, I am often torn between being engrossed in the conversation and being distracted by the obvious (to me) fact that the conversants are oblivious to the realities that many of us live with.   You and your guests have such endearing qualities so that even when discussing the ease with which Tuna Noodle Casserole can be prepared, (by making a fresh tuna confit at precisely 160 degrees) or the unique qualities of salt from different seas around the world, I find myself both spellbound and incredulous.

    If I could afford fresh tuna, it would go on the grill, not swim with some noodles in a white sauce.  My salt is not even Morton's, but the "High Top" store brand from DFO (Discount Food Outlet).  100% salt is 100% salt, well, except for the sodium silicoaluminate, but hey, better living through chemistry.

    I would love to hear a conversation with guests who don't take for granted the ability of listeners to share in the world of privileged restaurant hopping, gourmet food store shopping and leisurely book browsing.  On an income of $------,  I can no longer go out to eat very often, I cook DFO gourmet and read blogs on the net.  Needless to say, I can't afford to donate to your salary by contributing to Public Radio.  So I guess in the great market analysis, the bottom line is that listeners like me count for little if anything.  But we keep listening for free.  Thank you for the vicarious experience of your reality.

4 comments:

Russ Manley said...

Always good to hear from you, buddy.

I can relate to what you say. I lived through years of grinding poverty; and the outlook for retirement is not at all rosy, let me tell you. I am grateful that at this moment in life, somehow I have been blessed with a little prosperity, and it's awfully nice to not be worried to death over the cost of every little purchase.

Still, I'm only a notch or so above you: I buy everything at wal-mart, from soup to socks, or occasionally Home Depot. Except my hats, which they don't stock very good quality, and my boots because I have such damn big feet. But those I don't buy but every two or three years.

But yes I know, those la-di-da shows are very grating on the nerves. The few times I've seen Martha Stewart on TV, I felt like throwing a beer can at the screen.

Still, I just looked it up - most people in Haiti are living on less than $2 a day (wikipedia). So I guess we just have to be grateful for what little we do have. Could be worse. But it sure wears on your nerves, I tell you what.

FDeF said...

Years ago, when Martha did a Saturday morning show, a bunch of us used to get together for breakfast and have a good laugh at her expense.

But I sure do get profoundly angry and existentially confused by the drastic gulf between those children who eat mud cookies in Haiti while financial big wigs get obscene bonuses - more than you and I together make in a year or more, and more than they can spend in lifetime.

BobinCT said...

Amen, I've wanted to say this for a long time. Though I think she tries hard not to be, I fear dear Faith is an elitist.

Bob

Russ Manley said...

Yeah Frank it's hard to reconcile the thought of such extremes of poverty and wealth in the world.

I'm not against a well regulated capitalism per se; but those obscene bonuses have got to stop.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails