Saturday, November 17, 2007

Coffee Cut-back


So the economic pinch is finally rattling the Starbucks crowd. Welcome to my world. Well, almost. You're not quite there yet. I was never a Starbucks groupie, but used to frequent DD on regular basis. That was back when their mascot was the guy with the mustache who had to get up in the wee hours to "make the donuts". When DD went public, raised their prices and then got rid of Fred, I stopped visiting DD on a regular basis. Their objective shifted from the customer to the stockholder. Now, if I go there 6 times in year, that's a lot. We buy Chock-full-o-nuts at $1.68 per 13 oz. can on sale at Discount Foods. That's less than a cup at DD Starbucks or the 7-11 and it makes a week's worth of coffee. My only regret is that this is most probably not "fair-trade" coffee, so it comes with a guilty conscience. It does take some level of financial security to drink coffee that was paid for fairly and thus support the coffee farmers who barely survive to keep the rest of us awake.

Those of us in a lower income bracket than the Starbucks crowd, without any academic training in macro or micro or any other economics could have predicted the trends that the media is finally reporting on now. It doesn't take a genius to tell us that the economy is in a downturn. We're spending a zillion dollars on a friggin war while our domestic infrastructure crumbles and our most critical needs are becoming unaffordable, and I don't mean Starbucks coffee. Don't get me started. There are other blogs for that.

All I really want to express is my sentiment, "God, my heart bleeds for all those who must cut corners by foregoing a twice a day Starbucks habit!"

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails